Tuesday 16 October 2012

March for the future: Rallying cry for jobs and a real future at TUC protest

The TUC’s A Future That Works demonstration will call for a nation where people can work to get us out of the economic crisis.
Frustrated: Ashley Parsons
By line: Neville Williams, reprinted from the Daily Mirror website
 
Hundreds of thousands are expected to take to the streets to march for a better Britain this weekend.
On Saturday the TUC’s A Future That Works march will call for a nation where people can work to get us out of the economic crisis.
The Daily Mirror is backing the march. This week we will run stories behind the protests.
Ashley Parsons, 20, from Wolverhampton, said: “I have been out of work for more than a year since finishing college and am calling on the Government to take notice of the young people of Britain.
“I have lost count of the number of jobs he has applied for and is very frustrated at the lack of feedback from employers.
“I feel the constant rejections have been a real kick in the teeth but so far they have not stopped me from wanting to work.
“I am marching because I want to show that young people are not lazy and that the vast majority like me are desperate to progress in life.
“I am only just starting off in the world and it is so hard to get even a foot in the door, I can appreciate why some youngsters feel there is no light at the end of the tunnel.
“I want to get a mechanical engineering apprenticeship but despite applying to lots of companies I have not had any luck.
“Young people get criticised for apparently not wanting to work but my friends and I are working our backsides off trying to get a chance.
“The Government say we are the future but we are not, we are the present and we need help now.
“It’s important as many people as possible join us in London to show strength in our cause.”
* The march will assemble along Victoria Embankment on the north bank of the Thames from 11am on October 20 moving off around noon.
Go to: afuturethatworks.org ; mirror.co.uk/marchforthefuture ; or falseeconomy.org.uk/oct20 . Families can email marchwithmirror@mirror.co.uk.

No comments:

Post a Comment